Personal Information is information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable:
(a) whether the information or opinion is true or not; and
(b) whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not.
1. Kinds of personal information collected and held
We only collect Personal Information that is reasonably necessary for us to perform our functions to develop and promote our services and to assist us with complying with our legal and regulatory obligations. The kinds of Personal Information we collect and hold may include information you give us when you instruct us to act for you. This information will include:
your name, address, contact details
communications between you and us
information about individuals we collect in the course of acting for you such as information collected as authorised by a court/tribunal.
2. How we collect your information and hold it
We will collect Personal Information in a lawful and fair manner:
– when you use our website either through an enquiry or tracking usage patterns
– when you provide it to us or where we deem you have given us consent to source it
– from a 3rd party where it is reasonably necessary to enable us to conduct our functions and activities
Our use of tracking usage patterns is on an anonymous basis and your identity cannot be reasonably ascertained from this information. When you visit our website our tracking will record:
– your internet provider
– date and time of your visit
– pages accessed and the documents downloaded
– search items entered
– referring URL’s
If we receive Personal Information and we did not solicit it, within a reasonable time of receiving this information, we will determine if this information is reasonably necessary for us to perform our functions and services. If it is not we will either destroy the information or de-identify it if it is not contained in a commonwealth record.
Your Personal Information will be held in our electronic and hardcopy files. After 7 years your personal information held in hardcopy files will be destroyed. Your Personal Information may also be backed up and held on the “cloud”. We use Office 365 to back up our electronic files.
3. Using and disclosing your Personal Information
Any Personal Information which we collect about you will be used and disclosed by us to provide you with the services you have requested from us or to enable us to comply with our legal and regulatory obligations or where you give us consent to disclose such information.
We may also use your Personal Information to:
– provide you with information about our services we offer. If you would prefer not to receive this information, please let us know
– deal with external service providers (such as photocopying services or electronic conveyancing services) but only so that they can provide the services we have contracted out to them
4. Access to your Personal Information
You can access your Personal Information by a request in writing to us. You can provide us with a written request to correct or amend Personal Information we hold about you. We will deal with these requests as quickly as possible. We may charge you a reasonable amount for access charges.
There may be some circumstances where we can deny you access to your Personal Information. This is permissable by Australian Privacy Principal 12.3. This includes circumstances where giving you access:
– would pose a serious threat to your health and safety or to public health and safety
– would have an unreasonable impact on other persons
– is based on a frivolous or vexatious request
– may jeopadize any existing or anticipated legal proceeding
– may prejudice negotiations between us
– would be unlawful or is authorised or required under Australian law or court or tribunal
– may prejudice enforcement related activities conducted by an enforcement body
If we refuse to give you access we will provide you with reasons and avenues within which to make a complaint.
5. Making a complaint
If you are concerned that we may have breached your privacy and wish to make a complaint, please contact us at PO Box 1515 Neutral Bay 2089.
6. Data going overseas
We hold and back up your Personal Information in our electronic files through Office 365 and also may be backed up and held on the “cloud” through Office 365. This is a system operated by Microsoft in connection with Telstra where the data is held in secure form offshore.